Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

hair simulation with carbon 1 month 2 weeks ago #587

• Mayu
  • Mayu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi.
I'm trying to simulate human hair with carbon.
I would like to use  N-Lattice node , as in the example link below.
www.numerion-software.com/index.php/prod...arbon-n-lattice/hair

I have imported nurbs curbes alembic file from maya .
Then, I 'm looking for some examples or tutorials but found nothing.
I visited here ↓
carbon0920h.numerion-software.com/examples.html
but  example page currently not accesable.

Could you please send me some examples or tutorials ?
And also I this example would be very helpful.↓
>an example pair of Houdini Python nodes to convert between Houdini fur geometry (NURB curves) and lattice geometry used by the Carbon N-Lattice node.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

hair simulation with carbon 1 month 2 weeks ago #588

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi Mayu,

Welcome to our forum.
You can find the latest documentation for Houdini using this link:  Latest-Docs-Houdini
It always points to the latest available build.
Furthermore, when you install SIM_CarbonTool, it installs the full documentation as well.
Per default (on a Windows machine), it will install it to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\numerion\SIM_CarbonTool-9.8.1 (for plugin version 9.8.1).
If you are on 9.2.0, it would be %USERPROFILE%\Documents\numerion\SIM_CarbonTool-9.2.0, but I would recommend upgrading to 9.8.1 as we have added a lot of useful features and improvements since 9.2.0 as you can see in the latest release notes:  Release Notes 9.8.1

Coming back to your question, the examples page you are looking for is here:  carbon0981h.numerion-software.com/examples.html
Please let me know if you have any questions, but you should find all you need in the hip file associated with the example.

Since you are specifically targeting hair, I would like to make you aware of a feature we have added in release 9.8.0: Edge collision.
We have also added a simple example for it: Edge Collision Weave
This allows you to only use edge collision for cloth objects, which is perfect for hair simulation.
We have tested this in a little case study:  HAIR SIMULATION PROTOTYPE WITH CARBON
Basically, what we did is to take lattice geometry, similar as you would do for N-Lattice.
Then we created a Carbon Cloth for each hair clump, and set its collision to Edge collision. Furthermore, we only selected the center edges of each lattice strand as Edge Group for collision. We basically simulated curves from a collision point of view (meaning that you don't get cloth entanglement, collision-issues, etc), and from a solver constraints point of view, we have full Cloth lattice geometry, which means we can use all Cloth properties available to control stretch, bend, etc.
Then, we used painted Carbon Bindings to bind the cloths to the skull, using a very stiff binding at the roots to get a very hard attachment at the roots, and tapering the stiffness off towards the tips to allow for free movement of the strands.

I hope this makes sense.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Sebastian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mayu

hair simulation with carbon 1 month 2 weeks ago #589

• Mayu
  • Mayu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks a lot. 
I found great tutorials and examples.
Especially your suggestions about to collide only center edges seems really effective..
I' ll try that way first.
Thank you .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds